The Fee for a Marriage License is $28.00
This is payable ONLY by:
Check Cash or Money Order
In the State of New Jersey you must apply for a Marriage License prior to getting married. Obtaining a Marriage License DOES NOT mean that you are married. You must have a Marriage License in order to get married in the State of New Jersey.
For individuals who are currently married in New Jersey or are married in another state or country, the option exists to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a remarriage.
To apply for a remarriage, the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the guidelines to completing the license application. The process for a remarriage license is the same as for the marriage license, except that the remarriage license must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage. There is no 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. We ask that you allow us 24 hours in order to enter your remarriage license.
Note: Rahway City Hall is currently not performing any marriage ceremonies. You must find an officiant that is licensed in the State of New Jersey.
Blood tests are no longer required to obtain a marriage license in New Jersey
If you are completing the application prior to coming in,
DO NOT COMPLETE THE BACK OR SIGN THE APPLICATION
How To Apply:
Who should apply
One or both applicants getting married who reside in the City of Rahway.
If both applicants are from out-of-state, the application must be filled out in the municipality where the ceremony will occur.
Where to apply
City of Rahway Health Office, Monday thru Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
When to apply
It is recommended that the license be requested at least four weeks before the ceremony.
It is mandated by the State of New Jersey that there is a 72 hour waiting period from the exact time of application until you can use your marriage license. Weekends are counted in the waiting period.
After the license is issued, the marriage license may ONLY be used in the state of New Jersey for (30) thirty days, after which time the license expires and you must begin the marriage license process over.
Who should be present at time of application?
Both person’s getting married and one witness. Everyone must be over the age of and has valid photo ID.
Applicants must know:
- Both parents’ birth places (if both parents are listed on original birth certificate)
- Both mothers’ maiden names
- Both fathers’ names (if father is listed on original birth certificate)
- Name and address of the person officiating the marriage as well as the date the ceremony is to take place
- The title of the person officiating the marriage
- Address of where you will reside after your ceremony
- Telephone number you can be reached at
Applicant(s) must have with them the following items:
- If divorced, we need the date and municipality in which the divorce occurred, the full name of the former spouse
- If widowed, proved the date of the deceased and municipality they died in and full name of your former spouse
- Proof of identity by presenting a driver’s license, passport, or state/federal/county ID
- Proof that one of the applications getting married reside in Rahway. You may provide a valid driver’s license, lease, tax return, etc.
After you are Married
All 4 pages of License must be completed and signed.
- Page 1 and 2 of the License must be mailed or brought to the Registrar in the Municipality in which you were married in. DO NOT bring it to the municipality that you received the license in UNLESS you were married there.
- Page 3 is kept by the applicants.
- Page 4 is kept by the person who performed the ceremony.
After the certificates are filed in the municipality in which the marriage occurred, you can the apply for certified copy for the fee of $10.00 payable by cash, check or money order only.
Here is an Example of the portion of the marriage license (all 4 pages) that MUST be completed by the person performing the ceremony.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address. OR
Valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address. OR
Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address